Followers

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Stuff

Stix n Brix, NC

It's going to be a long winter.  We spent some time yesterday doing a few things around the house.  I finally got the mower started and cut up the leaves that fell last week while we were gone.  Now I can see the brown grass again.  I hate raking leaves.  I did my fair share of it as a kid and I decided long ago that I had outgrown raking. 

While I was outside, Gin was inside going through some stuff in the office.  It was nice to get a big bag of stuff to throw away and another bag to shred.  I never thought of us as pack rats, but it's amazing what paperwork she found.  Yes, I finally threw away my report cards from elementary school through college.  And there were some rough drafts of job resumes from 28 years ago.  Pack-rats?  Not us!  It did catch us by surprise how many things had our name and social security number on them.  That's going in the shredder of course.  The heaviest bag went to the garbage dump today along with a load of other stuff that's not really needed.  That felt good.  If we can throw out a load like that every few weeks, we'll have an empty house to put on the market in the spring.

I may not post that often this winter, but I will keep reading the blogs that I follow.  Of course we will do some daydreaming and planning of our not so distant future.  Thanks for dropping by, and enjoy each day of your life's journey by finding beauty in the ordinary.

9 comments:

Merikay said...

I always feel good when another bag is full. Today was garbage day and I filled all three of my cans.

My husband does not share this feeling of freedom.

smdrm said...

I know what you mean. We ARE pack rats and want to get our house ready for sale in about two years. It will be a huge job, but everytime I fill one more trash bag, or box to be donated or recycled, I fill like I've accomplished something.

Good luck and have a happy holiday season! Hope to see you at the RV Dreams Rally in April.

Selene, NC

Gail Houle said...

I think the problem with file cabinets is that they are too efficient. We file things and there they stay, long after the need for them is gone. I burned out a shredder when I was going through that phase. It took weeks to get paperwork down to a reasonable amount. Then you can further reduce it by scanning if you so choose :) Have fun this winter :)

Karen and Al said...

The paperwork is the biggest issue I can see because you have to be so careful not to toss anything important. It's amazing how much of it we have.

Unknown said...

We are no different. Even when we are trying not to be "pack rats", it still happens. If it is not us, then one of our children feels the need to bring something of their's home for storage.

Travelwithwhippets said...

Wow, your post brought back memories! We had SO MUCH stuff to shred -- we even had stuff with our SS# dating back to the early 1970s!! They didn't worry so much about it back then, so it was on LOTS of things. Love your retirement countdown clock. You'll get there, and it will be worth all this hard work!!

Catherine, Jo Beth and Grace said...

We just moved to Saint Charles two years ago and it is still amazing how much stuff we have. We are doing the same a couple bags per week and maybe we will be done when the time comes.

Sherry said...

LONG winter is just how I feel too. So much too do. So cold so early - at least here.

I'd sure rather rake leaves than shovel snow but I do like your lawn mower idea. Crossing my fingers about no snow.

Interesting to me how little I post from home and how much from on the road.

Paul and Marti Dahl said...

Oh yeah, can we relate! We have a pick up truck of junk already, and now there is rather large pile of trash that needs to be hauled off. Good for Gin going thru the office, right now our office is 'Santa's Workshop' - the the growning pile of gifts taking over. Hang in there... we can get through this, one bag o' trash at a time!