Followers

Monday, July 19, 2010

Fairgrounds

Stix n Brix, NC

Gin got back from her folks on Saturday while I was at work and was so worn out that she has slept most of the time.  Her leg is really bothering her too but she is very strong-willed (stubborn) and really wants to do more work at her folks this coming weekend.  When we finally get on the road full-time, we want to volunteer once in a while for Habitat for Humanity.  This is sorta like doing that.

Today was her IV treatment day in Raleigh.  The neurologist's office is close to the State Fairgrounds where there are several FHU sites.  As we drove by, I noticed a nice looking MH parked near a tree all by itself.  After Gin got hooked up, I had a little time to kill so I went shopping.  As I drove by the fairgrounds, I saw a gentleman sitting outside.  Well I had to stop by and chat.  He is a retired federal employee and his wife has 10 more months of work.  They are from Mississippi and have had their Mandalay MH for two weeks.  He had taken his wife to the airport this morning because she had to go to work.  They had decided 37 years ago when they first got married that they wanted to have a nice rv and travel 6-8 months at a time upon retirement.  I know it'll be a long winter for them too.  He said the fairgrounds are updating the power from 30 amp to 50 amp.  This may be a place for us to stay when we come back for doctor stuff.  I know Jim and Dee have a Raleigh connection and have stayed here some.  Fairground camping isn't a Sylville kind of place, but it serves a purpose.

Hope things are going well with everyone and safe travels to all.

3 comments:

Nancy and Bill said...

Thanks for the state park camping idea. We also have a daughter and GRANDKIDS in Raleigh so we will be spending a lot of time in the area. Always looking for places to stay. Another nice place, but a little farther north is Falls River State Park.

I keep reminding myself that I have to take care of myself in order to be able to take care of others....same goes for you GIN!!

Safe Travels, Nancy

Anonymous said...

I am sure he appreciated your stopping by to say hello. That's part of the attraction of Rv living.

Paul and Marti Dahl said...

Holy cow! They waited 37 years, I bet the next 10 months will feel that long.

Good idea doing some Habitat for Humanity volunteering. We're looking into something similar. It's nice to be able to give back.

I bet you made his day as he probably was missing his wife and appreciated talking RV with another almost full timer. ;c)