Followers

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Bike the Neck

Huntington Beach State Park site #111
Murrell’s Inlet, SC

Today we decided to Bike the Neck.  It’s a very nice paved bike path that runs from Murrell’s Inlet, past the CG, and on down to Pawley’s Island.  As we were leaving the CG, I saw this beautiful egret in the tree.  I love the Spanish moss.

IMG_0153 

We first rode up to Murrell’s Inlet.  When we went out to eat Friday evening at the Hot Fish Club, Bill and Nancy mentioned that you can launch your kayaks from the park right next door so we had to check it out.

IMG_0159

It’s the Morse Park Landing.  There are a couple of picnic tables and a bench under a tree and a few places to park.  There’s also a memorial to those who were lost at sea.  Murrell’s Inlet honors it’s fishing village heritage.

IMG_0160  IMG_0157

After looking out over the marsh a bit, we decided to take the bike path south.  It goes on down to Pawley’s Island, but we didn’t go that far.  We stopped in Litchfield.  We were getting hungry and it was about lunchtime.  This is really a great bike path.  I forgot to check the e-bike odometer before we left, but I think we went a total of about 15 miles.  I pedaled most of it since it’s pretty flat.

IMG_0164

As we crossed the causeway over the lagoon, I spotted two alligators basking in the warm sun 10 feet from the sidewalk.  They were about 8-10 feet long.  Glad the camera has a nice zoom because they are the top of the food chain.

IMG_0165 IMG_0170

After lunch and an afternoon nap, we decided to take Smudge for a walk on the shore again.  She enjoyed barking at the birds.  She is over 13 years old but she walked like a puppy today.  We went out at one boardwalk and walked down to the jetty boardwalk to come back on the paved road.  That was about 4 miles of walking.  Smudge walked about 3.5 miles of it.

IMG_0201-1 IMG_0202

We will all sleep late tomorrow.  As a matter of fact, I think we will just hang around the campsite most of the time.  If we got this much exercise on a regular basis, we’d feel younger in the long run.  I just love the birds here.  These were right on the causeway across from the alligators.

IMG_0182 IMG_0196

We got back from the long walk just in time for me to step out on the marsh boardwalk for a sunset shot.  Nice way to wrap up another day in Sylville.

IMG_0210

Thanks for dropping by, and enjoy each day of your life’s journey by finding beauty in the ordinary.

5 comments:

Myrddin said...

Once you go full-time you can get out an exercise just as much as you want to. :-)

I think Linda and I will have to try to get into that park some time. It really looks nice.

Take care and have fun,

Jim and Linda

cruzin2some said...

I got tired just reding about all that peddling!

Travel Safe

Unknown said...

Those alligators would scare me. I don't like reptiles too much. The rest of it looks great!

Gin and Syl said...

Okay this was Syl's day! My day is today and let me tell you that it's gonna be boring, unless you want to see me with my feet propped up, and book in hand!

Yesterday was fun but I am feeling it today!!!!

Gin

Sherry said...

Thanks for allowing us to be there with you. We miss it and you.

Can't wait to hear about the feet propped up day. I love those only I sit in my beach chair at the oceanfront with my book and my feet in the water.

soon...sooner...soonest :-)