Followers

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Cameras

Huntington Beach State Park site #111
Murrell’s Inlet, SC

We visited with Sherry and David a few precious minutes this morning before they headed north to their house in Va to take care of some things.  It was wonderful visiting with them.  They are good people.  We’ll see them again in April at the RV-Dreams rally.

I rode my e-bike around a little bit taking pictures with our new camera.  It’s a Canon PowerShot SX30 IS much like Karen uses for her blog. Wow! It really does have a super zoom feature!  Our other two cameras are also Canon’s.  One is a small powershot that we take when we paddle and the other is an EOS Rebel T1i with a 250mm zoom.  It takes great pictures, but we always seem to have the wrong lens on it.  The new camera is versatile.  I like the fact that you only have one lens so you are always ready.  You do have to hold your breath to get that real tight zoom.  Here’s a few shots to see what you think.  I was still sitting on the e-bike and the end of the boardwalk to the beach for this shot.  No sand in my shoes.  (Remember that all the pictures will enlarge if you click on them.)

IMG_0047

I rode over to one of the observation boardwalks over the marsh for a few more shots.  This flock of birds just looked like specks on the water and I could hardly see what this cormorant was doing on the post.

IMG_0051 IMG_0049

I enjoyed watching this pelican from a “close” distance, and this great egret was enjoying the sun on the causeway.

IMG_0052   IMG_0057

While I was on the causeway, a gentleman with a tripod, camera, and a huge zoom lens walked by.  Some other folks had told me that a rare Bald Eagle had been perched high in a tree for a while.  I spoke with this guy and he was kind enough to point him out to me.  He had been waiting all morning for him to fly but had to leave.  I’m sure he got some nice shots but this one is quite nice and much easier.

IMG_0055

While the chicken wings were cooking on the grill, we sat back and watched the NC State-UNC football game on the outdoor tv.  State won.  It’s been a tough year for the NFL Panthers so we have to enjoy the ole college team.

IMG_0061   IMG_0063 

This cute little marsh wren kept boppin’ around and on top of the MH tire.  It was interesting to watch.

IMG_0064

As the game wound down, Gin got a nice fire going while I walked to the visitor’s center boardwalk to see if I could get a decent picture of the sunset.  I love these two Wilson's plovers reflecting on their day.

IMG_0067

As the sun set to the west, the full moon rose in the east.  It was another wonderful Sylville, and Ginville, kind of day.

IMG_0065   IMG_0069

Thanks for dropping by, and enjoy each day of your life’s journey by finding beauty in the ordinary.

10 comments:

Along the Way with JnK said...

Always nice to play with a new cameras and it looks as if you learned a lot...great photos!

We bought yet another new camera last week but were not happy with it, so we took it back. We then made the decision that all we need to do is to get new lenses and gadgets for the Sony A200 we have and love using, so that is what we did. Getting excited for the big delivery, so I can begin taking photos with the new stuff...

Margie and Roger said...

Isn't the SX30 IS zoom amazing? Just bought one a couple of weeks ago and have been enjoying it. Can't seem to hold it still enough for really good zoom shots, but I'm working on it. A tripod really helps - I'm thinking of getting a small size tripod too in addition to my larger one. Enjoyed your bird photos.

Nancy and Bill said...

Seems to me you have all your photo opportunities covered with your selection of cameras ;o)

Loved the photo of the Bald Eagle and the two birds reflecting in the water!!

Looks like you are in for some beautiful weather.......ENJOY!!

Myrddin said...

Great shots with that new camera. I really like the 2 birds reflecting. ;-)

Have a safe trip back home.

Jim

Gail Houle said...

Good pictures! I sometimes wish I had a better zoom but it would mean giving up my point and shoot that fits in my back pocket :) If I had to carry it, I'd probably forget to take it. I'm trying very hard to even remember the little one :)

Karen and Al said...

I'm glad you like your new camera. We sure like ours too! Have you tried getting the beautiful full moon? That's a little difficult to zoom in to the max. It seems your beating heart causes it to bounce all around :)

Love the shot of the Eagle.

Travelwithwhippets said...

Great wildlife pictures!

Tumbleweed Dee said...

Great pictures! The reflecting birds are really something! I love the eagle too.

It looks like when you're off work, you do a very good job in relaxing. I can't wait till you get on the road fulltime.

Looking forward to more of the pictures, good eye for finding the good views.

Sherry said...

You've sold me on the camera and kudos for the great caption on the birds "reflecting".

Glad to see you are having a great time there as we knew you would.

Sherry

Paul and Marti Dahl said...

It's nice to a a really good camera that has so much flexibilty to get great shots, like the two reflecting birds, what a great shot.

Now you have to come up with a good system to organize all the great shots, it's a challenge for sure.