Saturday, May 1, 2010

Yard Sale

Stix n Brix

You sure can tell when I'm in the worst part of my work schedule. I just don't have time to do a post. We've been busy in other ways too.

Gin has been busy the past few weeks putting some stuff in an empty room used as a staging area for a yard sale. Well Friday evening, I helped her get it all moved out to the garage for the yard sale today. Needless to say, I didn't sleep much last night. When my mind is on something, it's hard for me to sleep. Not to mention switching from day shift to night shift all the time. We got up early to get things moved out into the driveway and bring out a few last minute items. I don't know how we could have done it without a garage to do the last staging.

We had advertised it on craigslist and a fella had emailed to say that he was interested in the small generator we mentioned. He came by here on Thursday to buy it and a few other things. We had put up a sign in front of the subdivision too on Monday. We also put another sign up on Wednesday to our culdesac so a lot of people in the neighborhood knew about it too. We even had two women knock on our door at 9:00 Friday night to see if we would let them take a look since they don't get up early. Even though our signs and everything said 7:00, our first customers showed up at 6:15. All the good stuff was gone by 8:00 but we stayed set up until 10:00. Almost everything sold to our surprise. Our old puzzles stayed for a long time but the right couple came along and bought a dozen of them.

We are tired but we do feel like some of the burden has been lifted. It is true what they say about getting rid of that unnecessary "stuff" that everyone has. It feels a bit liberating, and it feels like the dream is going to become a reality. We mentioned to a few customers that we planned to sell everything and hit the road in the MH and they all said that it sounded wonderful. They wished that they could do it. We know that there is a lot more to get rid of, but this was a very good first step. Craigslist will come in handy next year when the furniture and other big items need to go to new homes.


Cyndi said...

Gin and Syl, what a coincidence! We had our yard sale today, too! At least, we had day 1 today. We still have a LOT of stuff to get rid of, so we're having another day tomorrow. Glad yours was successful!

The Gypsy G-Mas said...

Congratulations on a successful sale. It brings back memories of days not so long ago. It amazed me what people bought! And like you, we had people knocking on the door asking for an early sneak peek and a line of people waiting for the doors to open. I was never a big fan of yard sales, but I have to say I was converted. They are a lot of work, but it's a great way to make some extra money. And it's great to see the first layer of stuff to go. It's kind of like peeling an onion, layer by layer you get just a little closer to your dream!

Jim and Dee said...

Congrats, you're on the way to freedom. I'm so glad you sold so much in such a short time. Your stuff is another persons treasure. It works every time. You'll become real good with Craigslist.

Travelwithwhippets said...

Brought a smile to my face, remembering that phase of the adventure! Glad you had a good turnout! Roger and I are on our way to Indiana to sell yet more "stuff" too; Craig's List is definitely a good way to do it! Garage sales are LOTS of work, but kind of fun, too, to talk to folks, especially when they find out why you're selling all your good stuff!