Followers

Saturday, April 17, 2010

HMO's and being sick

Stix n Brix

Well it turned out that Gin didn't have her treatment.  Her Medicaid coverage recently changed.  For some governmental reason, she has to go to a new general practitioner before she can go to her treatments or see her neurologist that she has been going to for over 20 years.  I guess it's a kind of HMO.  So now she'll go to her new doc in the middle of May.  Her last treatment was in early March and it should be done every four weeks.  The doctor's offices couldn't just discuss this over the phone to make an exception.  Sure hope she doesn't have to go through this every month.  This new HMO set up has her stressing about our dream to go full-time next fall.  Medicare is Federal coverage and shouldn't be much of a problem but Medicaid is State coverage.  They pay what Medicare doesn't cover.  Her treatments and prescriptions are expensive.  We feel a little frustrated but what can you do.

So instead of treatment on Thursday, we spent the day doing yard work.  Gin burned off a little bit of yard debris while I cut the grass, edged the driveway and sidewalk, moved a woodpile, put down some concrete blocks to park the mower on and laid out some new sod in the front yard so that it will hopefully look better next year when we put the house on the market.  I was sore but it now looks like someone actually lives here.  I had a very bad night Thursday night.  I woke up about 1:30 very, very sick.  I never throw up, well maybe once every 20 years or so.  This time, it was both.  I was up the rest of the night and I didn't know whether to sit on the toilet or hug it for dear life.  I was so weak Friday that I even called out of work Friday night.  I feel much better now but definitely not 100%.   I plan to go to work tonight.  Sometimes ya just gotta do it.

1 comment:

Merikay said...

Health is one of my biggest concerns when I think about going on the road. I had breast cancer a couple of years back and wonder how I would be treated in some strange new place. Of course with todays medical systems, everywhere is a strange new place, even if you've lived there forever.

Hope your symptoms let up. It's no fun working when you are sick.